2019-12-19 11:01:24来源:尚七网综合
You’re late, you’re flustered and in a panic about how your boss is going to react when you get to work or how your mother-in-law is going to feel about you missing the birthday cake. We’ve all been late at one point in our lives and it’s important to have a store of excuses for when you are in trouble!
你迟到了,你很慌乱,担心你的老板会在你上班时做出什么反应,或者你的婆婆会对你错过生日蛋糕有什么感觉。在我们的生活中,我们都迟到了,当你遇到麻烦的时候,有一大堆借口是很重要的!
These excuses that we have ever so graciously put together for you will get you out of any situation you’re put in. Be careful not to use them too often though, people will start realising that you are making up excuses! The other option of course is to be on time and punctual, but who really has the time and the patience to do that?
我们为你精心编造的这些借口将使你摆脱任何处境。但是要小心不要经常使用,人们会开始意识到你在编造借口!另一个选择当然是准时,但是谁真正有时间和耐心去做呢?
Let’s take a look at the categories by which we are going to classify our excuses:
让我们来看看我们将根据哪些类别来对借口进行分类:
Traffic
交通
Family problems
家庭问题
Alarm clock
闹钟
Public transport
公共交通
Car problems
汽车问题
Police problems
警察问题
Doctor’s appointment
医生预约
Weather
天气
There will be new terms in each dialogue that will be put in bold. Then at the end of the dialogue we will explain the terms one by one.
每一个对话中都会有一些粗体字。然后在对话结束时,我们将逐一解释这些术语。
So, let’s get started!
所以,我们开始吧!
Traffic
交通
Traffic can ruin anyone’s day.
交通会毁了任何人的一天。
If you have to drive long distances to get to work it’s likely that you will run into traffic, which is when cars, buses and other vehicles have to form long lines due to the amount of people trying to use the roads. You can spend hours of your lifesatin traffic, isn’t that sad?
如果你要开很长的路去上班,很可能会遇到交通堵塞,也就是说,汽车、公共汽车和其他车辆必须排起长队,因为要使用道路的人太多了。你可以花上几个小时坐在车流中,不是吗?
So, if you don’t want to cycle or walk to work here is a sample dialog of an excuse using traffic.
所以,如果你不想骑车或步行上班,这里有一个使用交通工具的借口的示例对话框。
RIA: DAMIAN, YOU’RE 20 MINUTES LATE!
莉亚:达米安,你迟到了20分钟!
DAMIAN: YEAH, I’M SORRY RIA, I GOT STUCK IN TRAFFIC.
戴米安:是的,对不起,瑞亚,我堵车了。
RIA: STUCK IN TRAFFIC? ARE YOU SURE YOU DIDN’T JUST LEAVE LATE?
里娅:堵车?你确定你不只是迟到吗?
DAMIAN: HONESTLY! I TAKE THE MOTORWAY TO WORK AND IT WAS COMPLETELY GRIDLOCKED. IT’S BECAUSE I HAVE TO TRAVEL IN RUSH HOUR.
达米安:说实话!我走高速公路去上班,交通完全堵塞了。因为我得在高峰时间旅行。
RIA: HM, WELL I STILL THINK THAT YOU SHOULD BE LEAVING EARLIER. THIS IS THE SIXTH TIME THIS MONTH THAT YOU’VE BEEN LATE AND IT’S NOT ACCEPTABLE.
瑞亚:嗯,我还是觉得你应该早点走。这是你这个月第六次迟到,这是不可接受的。
DAMIAN: COME ON RIA, WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT TRAFFIC? IT’S NOT MY FAULT!
达米安:来吧,瑞亚,我能怎么处理交通问题?这不是我的错!
RIA: THAT’S TRUE, BUT PLEASE TRY TO PLAN AHEAD FOR TRAFFIC INCIDENTS IN FUTURE.
RIA:是的,但是请尽量提前为将来的交通事故做好准备。
DAMIAN: OKAY, I WILL GET UP EARLIER AND I WILL TRY TO LISTEN TO THE TRAFFIC UPDATES ON THE RADIO BEFORE I LEAVE. THAT WAY I CAN PLAN AN ALTERNATIVE ROUTE IF I NEED TO.
戴米安:好的,我会早点起床,在离开之前我会试着听收音机里的交通动态。这样,如果我需要的话,我可以计划另一条路线。
RIA: THAT SOUNDS GOOD, DAMIAN, THANK YOU.
听起来不错,达米安,谢谢。
DAMIAN: YOU’RE WELCOME, RIA, I APOLOGISE.
达米安:不客气,瑞亚,我道歉。
traffic vocabulary words
交通词汇
Stuck in traffic
堵车
When you have to drive slowly or stop because of the number of vehicles on the road.
当你因为路上的车辆太多而不得不慢行或停车时。
Motorway
高速公路
A large road that is designed for lots of vehicles to travel at high speed.
为许多车辆高速行驶而设计的一条大路。
Gridlocked
陷入僵局
When traffic is so bad that cars cannot move.
当交通状况很糟糕,汽车无法行驶时。
Rush hour
高峰时间
An extremely busy period on the roads when people are travelling to work or running errands. This is usually at 8 AM and 5 PM.
当人们外出工作或跑腿时,道路上极其繁忙的时期。通常是早上8点和下午5点。
Traffic incidents
交通事故
Bad things that have happened to cause traffic, this could be a car accident or an animal might be on the road.
已经发生的导致交通事故的坏事,这可能是一场车祸,也可能是动物在路上。
Traffic updates
流量更新
Usually on the radio or television, there are presenters that watch the traffic and give people news on which roads are busy. This means that people can avoid traffic.
通常在广播或电视上,有主持人观看交通状况,告诉人们哪些道路繁忙。这意味着人们可以避开交通。
Alternative route
备选路线
A different way of getting to a destination and avoiding traffic.
到达目的地和避开交通的另一种方式。
excuses for being late because of family problems
因家庭问题迟到的借口
Family problems
家庭问题
There are so many excuses you can use that involve your family and if you have no problem in blaming them for something that is probably your fault, then you’re onto a goldmine here!
有那么多的借口可以让你的家人参与进来,如果你能毫无疑问地把可能是你的错归咎于他们,那么你就有了一个金矿!
Then again, if the people to whom you are giving the excuse know your family and see them often, your excuse might not work very well! You need to make sure that they can’t figure things out. This is particularly difficult in our modern times of social media. Anyone can search Facebook by name and find the person they are looking for in seconds.
再说一次,如果你找借口的人认识你的家人,经常见到他们,你的借口可能就不太管用了!你要确保他们搞不懂。这在我们现代的社交媒体中尤其困难。任何人都可以通过名字搜索Facebook,并在几秒钟内找到他们要找的人。
Use with caution!
小心使用!
Here’s your example dialogue for excuses involving family problems:
以下是你为家庭问题找借口的对话示例:
CHARLES: SORRY I’VE BEEN SO BUSY LATELY GUYS, I’VE HAD SO MANY FAMILY PROBLEMS!
查尔斯:对不起,我最近很忙,我有很多家庭问题!
YOLANDA: REALLY?
尤兰达:真的吗?
BEN: SERIOUSLY?
本:说真的?
CHARLES: YEAH, FIRST MY POOR OLD GRANDMA PASSED AWAY, THAT WAS SAD, SHE WAS 86 AND IT WAS A SHOCK TO US ALL.
查尔斯:是的,首先我可怜的老奶奶去世了,那很伤心,她已经86岁了,这对我们大家都是个打击。
YOLANDA: THAT WAS WHEN YOU COULDN’T COME OUT FOR DRINKS WITH US, RIGHT?
尤兰达:那时候你不能和我们一起出去喝酒,对吧?
CHARLES: YEAH, SORRY GUYS.
查尔斯:是的,对不起。
BEN: THAT’S REALLY STRANGE BECAUSE I WAS TALKING TO YOUR GRANDMA DOWN AT THE SHOPS THE OTHER DAY.
本:真奇怪,因为前几天我在商店和你奶奶聊天。
CHARLES: UM… ARE YOU SURE?
查尔斯:嗯……你确定吗?
BEN: I’M POSITIVE.
本:我肯定。
CHARLES: OH YEAH, SORRY, I MEANT MY GREAT GRANDMA. YOU DIDN’T KNOW HER.
查尔斯:哦,是的,对不起,我是说我的曾祖母。你不认识她。
YOLANDA: CHARLES, WHY ARE YOU MAKING THINGS UP TO NOT HANG OUT WITH US?
尤兰达:查尔斯,你为什么要编造一些事情不跟我们出去玩?
CHARLES: I’M NOT I SWEAR! THERE WAS ANOTHER INCIDENT THE OTHER DAY WHEN YOU INVITED ME TO THE THEME PARK. I REALLY WANTED TO GO BUT THEN MY DAUGHTER FELL ILL, WE WERE REALLY WORRIED ABOUT HER BUT SHE GOT BETTER.
查尔斯:我不是,我发誓!前几天你邀请我去主题公园时发生了另一件事。我真的很想去,但后来我女儿病了,我们真的很担心她,但她好多了。
BEN: CHARLES, I SAW YOUR DAUGHTER AT SCHOOL WHEN I WENT TO PICK UP MY SON.
本:查尔斯,我去接儿子的时候看见你女儿在学校。
CHARLES: THAT MUST’VE BEEN SOMEONE ELSE, SHE WAS OFF SCHOOL ALL WEEK.
查尔斯:那一定是别人干的,她整个星期都不上学。
YOLANDA: CHARLES! YOU’RE LYING THROUGH YOUR TEETH!
尤兰达:查尔斯!你在撒谎!
BEN: YEAH IF YOU DON’T WANT TO HANG OUT WITH US THEN YOU DON’T HAVE TO LIE ABOUT IT. JUST TELL US.
本:是的,如果你不想和我们一起出去,那你就不必撒谎了。告诉我们。
CHARLES: I LOVE HANGING OUT WITH YOU GUYS! I SWEAR I’M TELLING THE TRUTH.
查尔斯:我喜欢和你们在一起!我发誓我说的是实话。
YOLANDA: WELL WE ARE FED UP OF YOUR EXCUSES. IF YOU WANT TO SPEND TIME WITH YOUR FRIENDS IN FUTURE THEN GIVE US A CALL. IF NOT, THEN DON’T BOTHER.
尤兰达:我们受够了你的借口。如果你将来想和你的朋友在一起,那就给我们打个电话。如果没有,那就不用麻烦了。
BEN: AGREED.
本:同意。
CHARLES: OKAY, I WILL CALL YOU GUYS SOON, I PROMISE.
查尔斯:好的,我很快会给你们打电话的,我保证。
New Vocabulary:
新词汇:
Passed away
去世
A polite and kinder way to say that someone has died.
说有人死了的礼貌和友好的方式。
Making things up
编故事
If someone is making things up, they are inventing lies about something.
如果有人在编故事,他们就在编造谎言。
I swear!
我发誓!
A strong way to say that you are telling the truth.
说你说的是实话的有力方式。
Fell ill
生病
A way to say that someone has become ill or sick.
一种表示某人生病或生病的方式。
Lying through your teeth
在你的牙齿里躺着
An expression to say that someone is obviously telling lies.
表示某人明显在说谎的表达。
Hang out
闲逛
To hang out with someone is to spend time with them. Use this only with friends as it is very informal. It’s also more common in US English as opposed to UK English.
和某人在一起就是和他们在一起。这是非常非正式的,只能和朋友一起使用。这在美式英语中也比英式英语更常见。
Fed up
厌倦
A stronger way of saying you are tired of something.
更有力的方式来表达你对某事的厌倦。
excuses for being late to work, bed, bedroom
上班、睡觉、睡觉迟到的借口
Alarm clock
闹钟
That pesky thing that we all hate, but it’s just doing its job!
我们都讨厌的讨厌的事,但它只是在做它的工作!
The alarm clock is the device that we use to wake us up at a certain time every morning. Usually, the natural response is to turn it off and go back to sleep, but we can’t do that unless we want to be late for the day ahead. Some people are very lucky and they don’t need an alarm clock to wake them up. I don’t know about you, but I am not one of those people.
闹钟是我们每天早晨在某个时间叫醒我们的装置。通常情况下,我们的自然反应是关掉它然后再睡觉,但除非我们想在前一天迟到,否则我们不能这样做。有些人很幸运,他们不需要闹钟来叫醒他们。我不了解你,但我不是那种人。
So, that being said, let’s take a look at the dialogue below:
既然如此,让我们来看看下面的对话:
TIM: SORRY I’M LATE BOB!
蒂姆:对不起,我迟到了鲍勃!
BOB: TIM, AGAIN? THIS IS BECOMING A HABIT.
鲍勃:蒂姆,又来了?这正在成为一种习惯。
TIM: IT’S MY DARNED ALARM CLOCK. EVERY NIGHT I SET IT FOR 7 O’CLOCK IN THE MORNING BUT SOMETIMES IT JUST DECIDES TO NOT GO OFF. IT’S GOT A MIND OF ITS OWN!
蒂姆:这是我该死的闹钟。每天晚上我把它定在早上7点,但有时它只是决定不走。它有自己的想法!
BOB: THEN JUST BUY ANOTHER ALARM CLOCK! YOURS DOESN’T WORK!
鲍勃:那就再买一个闹钟吧!你的不管用!
TIM: I KNOW, I WILL BUY ANOTHER ONE LATER. IT HAS TO BE DONE.
蒂姆:我知道,我以后会再买一个。必须这样做。
BOB: GOOD! BUT YOU’VE SAID THAT A FEW TIMES NOW. MAKE SURE YOU STICK TO YOUR WORD THIS TIME.
鲍勃:太好了!但你已经说过几次了。这次一定要信守诺言。
TIM: I WILL, I PROMISE.
我会的,我保证。
New vocabulary:
新词汇:
Darned
该死的
A polite way of saying “damned”. This is a way of insulting something.
说“该死”的礼貌方式。这是一种侮辱的方式。
To set an alarm clock
设置闹钟
When you set up your alarm clock to wake you up at a certain time.
当你设置闹钟在某个时间叫醒你的时候。
It’s got a mind of its own!
它有自己的想法!
When something has a mind of its own, it doesn’t act in the way that you would expect it to act.
当一件事有了自己的想法,它就不会像你期望的那样行动。
It has to be done
一定要做
Another way of saying it must be done.
另一种说法是必须这样做。
Stick to your word
信守诺言
To stick to your word means that you keep a promise and you do what you say you’re going to do.
信守诺言意味着你信守诺言,做你想做的事。
map, public transport
地图,公共交通
Public transport
公共交通
Public transport can be a good option if you do not own a car or a bike and it is too far to walk to your destination. Public transport includes things like buses, trains and cable cars.
如果您没有汽车或自行车,而且距离您的目的地太远,公共交通是一个不错的选择。公共交通包括公共汽车、火车和缆车。
Usually, you have to pay to use public transport and you expect that it will arrive on time. In reality though, public transport has issues with being punctual and keeping up high standards. It’s important that you leave early so that you don’t arrive late!
通常,你必须付费才能使用公共交通工具,而且你希望它能准时到达。然而,在现实中,公共交通有准时和保持高标准的问题。重要的是你要早点离开以免迟到!
Take a look at the dialogue:
看看对话:
FRAN: SORRY I’M LATE GEORGE, I HAD TO TAKE THE BUS AGAIN.
弗兰:对不起,我迟到了,乔治,我又得坐公共汽车了。
GEORGE: FRAN! WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT PUBLIC TRANSPORT?
乔治:弗兰!我跟你说过公共交通吗?
FRAN: I’M REALLY SORRY, MY LEG WAS HURTING AND I NEEDED TO GET HERE SOMEHOW!
弗兰:真的很抱歉,我的腿受伤了,我需要设法赶到这里!
GEORGE: OKAY, I UNDERSTAND, BUT YOU HAVE TO ALLOW MORE TIME WITH PUBLIC TRANSPORT. IT’S ALWAYS LATE.
乔治:好吧,我明白,但你得给更多时间乘坐公共交通工具。总是很晚。
FRAN: I KNOW THAT NOW, PERHAPS TOMORROW I’LL GET THE TRAIN. IT’S A BIT QUICKER.
弗兰:我现在知道了,也许明天我就能赶上火车。快一点。
GEORGE: JUST REMEMBER THAT IT IS QUITE PRICEY TO TAKE THE TRAIN.
乔治:记住坐火车很贵。
FRAN: THAT’S TRUE. THE PRICES ARE GOING THROUGH THE ROOF. I’LL THINK OF SOMETHING.
弗兰:没错。物价飞涨。我会想办法的。
vocabulary related to public transport
关于公共交通的词汇
New vocabulary:
新词汇:
Take/get the bus
搭乘公交车
To travel by bus.
坐公交车
To allow more time
让更多的时间
If you allow time, you do things a little bit earlier so that if something goes wrong, you are still on time.
如果你允许时间的话,你可以早一点做事,这样如果出了问题,你仍然准时。
Get/take the train
坐火车
To travel by train.
坐火车
Pricey
昂贵的
Another word for expensive.
另一个词是昂贵。
The prices are going through the roof
物价飞涨
An expression to say that prices are rising very quickly.
一种表示物价上涨很快的说法。
car, car problems, car rental
汽车,汽车问题,租车
Car problems
汽车问题
Your car can sometimes be your best friend and other times it can be your worst enemy. You just never know what it’s going to do!
你的车有时是你最好的朋友,有时是你最大的敌人。你永远不知道它会做什么!
If your car breaks down and you can’t use it to drive to work you have the perfect excuse. But only if you live far enough away from work that you can’t walk.
如果你的车抛锚了,你不能用它来开车上班,你就有一个完美的借口。但前提是你住得离工作足够远,不能走路。
Usually, when it works, the car is the most convenient and most comfortable way to get to work in the mornings. You can listen to music while you drive, you can recline your seat and in some cars you have personalised temperature settings.
通常,当它工作时,汽车是早晨上班最方便、最舒适的方式。你可以一边开车一边听音乐,你可以倾斜你的座位,在一些车里你可以设置个性化的温度。
But what if the car isn’t working?
但是如果车坏了呢?
Sometimes, if you’re late, you can pretend that your car has broken down and you were not able to get to work on time.
有时,如果你迟到了,你可以假装你的车坏了,你不能按时上班。
Take a look at the dialogue:
看看对话:
DARREN: LEE, WHY ARE YOU SO LATE?
达伦:李,你为什么这么晚?
LEE: DIDN’T YOU HEAR? I CALLED THE FRONT OFFICE.
李:你没听到吗?我给前台打了电话。
DARREN: NO, WHAT HAPPENED?
达伦:不,怎么了?
LEE: MY CAR BROKE DOWN AND I HAD TO WAIT FOR THE MECHANICS TO COME AND FIX THE PROBLEM.
李:我的车坏了,我得等修理工来修理。
DARREN: REALLY? ARE YOU SURE YOU’RE TELLING THE TRUTH?
达伦:真的吗?你确定你说的是实话吗?
LEE: YES! IT WAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE WHEELS, THEY WEREN’T WORKING PROPERLY.
李:是的!这和轮子有关,它们不能正常工作。
DARREN: OKAY, IF YOU SAY SO. BUT COULDN’T YOU HAVE JUST WALKED? YOU ONLY LIVE AROUND THE CORNER.
达伦:好吧,如果你这么说的话。但你就不能走吗?你只住在拐角。
LEE: UM… YES THAT’S TRUE BUT I HAVE A BAD LEG SO IT WOULDN’T BE A GOOD IDEA TO WALK ANYWHERE.
李:嗯……是的,但我的腿不好,所以去哪儿都不好。
DARREN: JUST DON’T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN, LEE.
达伦:别让它再次发生,李。
New vocabulary:
新词汇:
Front office
前台
The main office in any organisation that deals with calls and other communications.
任何组织中处理电话和其他通信的主要办公室。
To break down
抛锚
In this instance, this is when a car stops working during a journey.
在这种情况下,这是一辆汽车在旅途中停止工作的时候。
Mechanics
机械
People that work with cars to try and fix them.
和汽车打交道试图修理汽车的人。
Wheels
轮胎
A car has four of these. They allow the car to move.
一辆车有四个。他们允许汽车移动。
Around the corner
在拐角处
An expression to show that something is very close.
表示某物非常接近的表达。
A bad leg
不好
To say you “have a bad” body part, it means you have a problem with that body part and you are in pain.
如果说你的身体部位“不好”,那就意味着你的身体部位有问题,而且你很痛苦。
police excuses
警方理由
Police problems
警察问题
This is a pretty extreme example!
这是一个非常极端的例子!
If you have an excuse that involves the police, you better know that your manager or your boss isn’t going to check your story with the police to see if it’s true. It could be very easy for them to find out if you’re lying.
如果你有一个与警察有关的借口,你最好知道你的经理或老板不会向警察核实你的故事是否属实。他们很容易就知道你在撒谎。
There are a lot of examples of excuses to do with the police but we are going to take a look at a common one. Hopefully you don’t experience anything more serious on your commute to work.
有很多借口和警察有关,但我们要看一个常见的例子。希望你在上班路上不会遇到更严重的事情。
GERRY: HAMISH, YOU’RE LATE AGAIN. WHAT’S THE EXCUSE THIS TIME?
格里:哈米什,你又迟到了。这次有什么借口?
HAMISH: BOSS, THIS TIME IT’S A REAL ONE. I WAS PULLED OVER FOR SPEEDING.
哈米什:老大,这次是真的。我因超速被拦了下来。
GERRY: REALLY? THAT’S NOT GOOD.
盖瑞:真的吗?那不好。
HAMISH: NO IT’S NOT, BUT I WAS ONLY GOING 2 MILES PER HOUR OVER THE SPEED LIMIT. IT WAS SO STUPID.
哈米什:不,不是的,但我只超速了每小时2英里。太蠢了。
GERRY: WELL, YOU WERE TECHNICALLY SPEEDING.
格里:嗯,严格说来,你超速了。
HAMISH: YEAH, BUT COME ON, 2 MILES PER HOUR FASTER THAN THE SPEED LIMIT IS NOT HURTING ANYBODY.
哈米什:是的,但是拜托,比限速快2英里每小时不会伤害任何人。
GERRY: MAYBE, BUT HAMISH, MAYBE YOU SHOULD LEAVE HOME A BIT EARLIER TO MAKE SURE YOU CAN GET TO WORK ON TIME WITHOUT SPEEDING.
盖瑞:也许吧,但是哈米什,也许你应该早点离开家,以确保你能准时上班而不超速。
HAMISH: YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT. I JUST HATE GETTING UP EARLY! IT’S HORRIBLE!
哈米什:是的,你说得对。我讨厌早起!太可怕了!
GERRY: NOBODY LIKES IT, HAMISH, BUT YOU HAVE TO DO IT SOMETIMES!
格里:没有人喜欢,哈米什,但你有时必须这样做!
New vocabulary:
新词汇:
Pulled over
靠边停车
When the police tell you to stop at the side of the road.
当警察叫你停在路边的时候。
Speeding
超速
When you are driving faster than the speed limit.
当你超速行驶时。
Speed limit
速度限制
The speed at which you are allowed to travel on a certain road.
允许你在某条路上行驶的速度。
love, care for, adore, be in love with, heart, vital organ
爱,关心,爱慕,爱上,心脏,重要器官
Doctor’s appointment
医生预约
Again, this one can be checked so you better make sure it’s either true or that you have a friend that’s a doctor!
再一次,这个可以检查,所以你最好确保它不是真的,或者你有一个朋友是医生!
People are generally allowed to miss hours or even days of work to go to the doctor’s. It is seen as something that needs to be taken care of and not even your boss can stop you from caring about your health.
人们通常被允许错过几小时甚至几天的工作去看医生,这被视为需要照顾的事情,甚至连你的老板都不能阻止你关心你的健康。
But, some people will make up reasons to go to the doctor’s and will even lie about being ill.
但是,有些人会编造理由去看医生,甚至会谎称自己生病了。
Are you one of these people? If so, this dialogue is for you!
你是这些人中的一员吗?如果是的话,这段对话是给你的!
VICTOR: SARAH, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?
维克多:莎拉,你去哪儿了?
SARAH: I TOLD YOU, TODAY WAS MY DOCTOR’S APPOINTMENT. I’VE BEEN SUFFERING WITH THE FLU FOR WEEKS NOW.
莎拉:我告诉过你,今天是我医生的预约。我患流感已经好几个星期了。
VICTOR: BUT YOU SEEM OKAY! HOW DID IT GO?
维克多:但你看起来很好!进展如何?
SARAH: IT WAS ALRIGHT, HE GAVE ME A PRESCRIPTION TO GET RID OF THE REST OF THE FLU. I’M NEARLY OVER IT NOW.
莎拉:没关系,他给我开了个处方,让我把剩下的流感治好。我现在快结束了。
VICTOR: WELL THAT’S GOOD. IF YOU DON’T FEEL WELL YOU SHOULDN’T BE AT WORK.
维克多:那很好。如果你感觉不舒服,就不应该上班。
SARAH: YES, BUT I MISSED WORK LAST WEEK. I DON’T WANT TO BE OFF SICK THIS WEEK AS WELL.
莎拉:是的,但我上周没上班。我也不想这周请病假。
VICTOR: OKAY, WELL TAKE IT EASY AND IF YOU FEEL BAD THEN GO HOME.
维克多:好吧,放松点,如果你觉得不舒服就回家吧。
SARAH: THANKS, VICTOR.
莎拉:谢谢,维克多。
doctor's appointment vocabulary
医生预约词汇
New vocabulary:
新词汇:
Doctor’s appointment
医生预约
A scheduled time with the doctor where they will try to help you with your problem.
医生安排的时间,他们会尽力帮助你解决问题。
Prescription
处方
A document that your doctor gives you so that you can get drugs or treatment from a pharmacy.
你的医生给你的文件,以便你能从药房得到药物或治疗。
Flu
流感
Short for influenza, this is something that is very common and can make you feel like you have no energy and you can’t breathe normally. It’s not usually serious when treated properly.
流感的简称,这是一种很常见的疾病,会让你感觉没有精力,无法正常呼吸。如果治疗得当,通常不严重。
To be off sick
病休
To be away from work because you are ill or sick.
因为生病或生病而离开工作。
Take it easy
放轻松
Another way to say “relax” and tell someone not to work too hard.
另一种方式是说“放松”,告诉别人不要工作太辛苦。
Weather
天气
This one depends where you live, if you live in a sunny place where there is never any bad weather then this probably doesn’t apply to you. This excuse mainly applies to those living in countries that experience challenging weather on a regular basis.
这取决于你住在哪里,如果你住在一个阳光明媚的地方,那里从来没有坏天气,那么这可能不适用于你。这个借口主要适用于那些生活在经常经历恶劣天气的国家的人。
There are many circumstances that mean people cannot get to work because of the weather. Public transport can shut down, cars will break down and roads will close all because of bad weather.
有许多情况意味着人们由于天气原因不能上班。由于天气恶劣,公共交通可能会关闭,汽车会抛锚,道路也会关闭。
Of course, if you receive regular bad weather, you are probably prepared and will be able to travel to work without any problem.
当然,如果你经常遇到坏天气,你可能已经做好了准备,可以毫无问题地去上班了。
But what if you are not used to extreme weather?
但如果你不习惯极端天气呢?
Take a look:
看一下:
JANE: HAVE YOU SEEN THE WEATHER OUTSIDE? IT’S SNOWING!
简:你看到外面的天气了吗?下雪了!
DEREK: YEAH I KNOW, THAT’S WHY I WAS LATE THIS MORNING. IT WAS SNOWING LAST NIGHT AND THEY CLOSED SOME OF THE ROADS.
德里克:是的,我知道,这就是我今天早上迟到的原因。昨晚下雪了,他们封锁了一些道路。
JANE: WOW, REALLY? I HAVEN’T HAD ANY SNOW BY MY HOUSE.
简:哇,真的吗?我家附近没有下雪。
DEREK: THAT’S STRANGE! THE ROADS NEAR ME HAVE BEEN FROZEN FOR WEEKS AND IT’S BEEN VERY DANGEROUS TO DRIVE.
德里克:真奇怪!我附近的道路已经结冰好几个星期了,开车很危险。
JANE: THERE IS A TRAIN STATION NEAR YOU, ISN’T THERE? WHY DON’T YOU JUST GET THE TRAIN?
简:你附近有一个火车站,是吗?你为什么不坐火车呢?
DEREK: THE TRAIN STATION HAS BEEN CLOSED TOO, THE TRACKS HAVE BEEN TOO DANGEROUS. WE AREN’T USED TO THIS MUCH SNOW.
德里克:火车站也关闭了,铁轨太危险了。我们不习惯这么多雪。
JANE: THAT’S TRUE, WE DON’T MAKE ALLOWANCES FOR BAD WEATHER LIKE THIS.
简:是的,我们不考虑这样的恶劣天气。
DEREK: THE PEOPLE NEAR ME ARE OUTRAGED BECAUSE THEY CAN’T GO ANYWHERE! THEIR ROADS ARE SHUT, THEIR RAILWAYS ARE SHUT SO THEY ARE STUCK IN THEIR HOUSES.
德里克:我身边的人很愤怒,因为他们哪儿也去不了!他们的道路被关闭,铁路被关闭,所以他们被困在家里。
JANE: THAT WOULD BE HORRIBLE. I CAN’T STAY INSIDE FOR TOO LONG OTHERWISE I GET BORED.
简:那太可怕了。我不能在里面呆太久,否则我会感到无聊。
DEREK: YEAH ME TOO. THAT’S WHY I’M HERE! YOU ARE ALLOWED TO TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY, LUCKILY FOR ME. I DON’T WANT TO LOSE MY JOB!
德里克:我也是。这就是我来这里的原因!你可以在紧急情况下旅行,我很幸运。我不想丢了工作!
New vocabulary:
新词汇:
Frozen
冻结的
When something falls below it’s freezing point. In this case, water on the roads has become ice so the roads are not safe.
当某物降到冰点以下时。在这种情况下,道路上的水已经结冰,因此道路不安全。
Tracks
小路
Trains travel by driving on these. They are made of metal and wood.
火车是靠开这些车来旅行的。它们是由金属和木头制成的。
To make allowances
体谅
If you make allowances for something, you prepare for something to happen so that you are ready when it comes.
如果你考虑到一些事情,你就要为即将发生的事情做好准备,这样当事情发生时你就做好了准备。
Outraged
愤怒的
Another word to say that someone is very angry about something.
另一个词是说某人对某事很生气。
Shut
关闭
Another word for “closed”!
另一个词是“关闭”!